Toohey Forest Environmental Education Centre is staffed by a combination of specialist primary and secondary teachers, with years of experience in delivering educational programs that meet the requirements of the Australian Curriculum (Science and Geography) and select Queensland senior syllabuses. The centre provides a range of day visit programs to students ranging from Prep to year 12.
Program themes include:
- Australian flora and fauna / Biodiversity / Ecology
- Catchment Health / Water Quality Monitoring
- Sustainability / Energy / Waste
- Human Impact Studies.
The centre is committed to supporting schools through the provision of programs that exemplify our vision of ‘Inspiring Science Beyond the Classroom’. The centre achieves this through the delivery of programs that engage and challenge students and incorporate:
- Explicit links to the Australian Curriculum: Science and select Queensland senior syllabuses
- Hands –on learning experiences utilising authentic contexts
- Collaborative learning through small group work
- Opportunities for students to ask questions, critique claims made by others and draw evidence-based conclusions
- The use of technology (ICTs) to enhance the learning experience.
In addition to on-site programs, Toohey Forest Environmental Education Centre is able to deliver select programs at a variety of locations in the Metropolitan region. For a full list and description of programs on offer, visit the programs page.